The Senior Citizens Forum’s current objective is to support people over 50 in the Telford & Wrekin area, to cope with living through the pandemic period, then supporting them to regain a more active lifestyle and engage with the community.
The Telephone Chat Scheme was set up to support people who may be suffering from loneliness and/or isolation, particularly in relation to the anxiety and loss of confidence caused by the Covid-19 isolation period. This support is delivered through regular telephone calls.
Working from our home, calling clients generally at least once a week at agreed times, to chat, listen and check that they’re coping OK.
Responsibilities / Tasks:
- Calling one or more clients depending on the maximum number you are comfortable taking on and as agreed with the Forum Co-ordinator.
- Reporting any concerns or problems that need further referrals or investigation, to the Forum Co-ordinator.
- Reading and understanding the guidelines issued before starting.
- Not sharing information about clients or what they tell you, with anyone else.
- Keeping your own record of all calls, dates, times, durations and any specific relevant information.
- Good listening and communication skills.
- Understanding of the needs of older people in the community.
- Patience and sensitivity.
- Understanding of confidentiality.
- Reliability to keep to agreed times but flexibility when needed.
This is dependent on the number of clients, and length of calls, which can be 10 minutes to an hour, but it is preferable to chat for at least around 20 minutes if both parties are happy to do so.
Length of service – it is hoped that volunteers will be able to commit for a minimum of 3 months.
Volunteers will be given a copy of the scheme guidelines.
As this role isn’t eligible for a standard or enhanced DBS check, the Forum may ask volunteers to apply for a basic DBS check, payable by the Forum. The Forum may accept a DBS check obtained through a previous activity.Apply Now